Job Hunting #2: Passion vs. Financial Gains

It's been two weeks now since I started searching for jobs. I've sent applications to six non-governmental organizations already. My sister complains that I'm not taking this seriously. Actually, I am that's why I've been picky with selecting. I want to ensure that the jobs I apply for are things I want to do and that they promote advocacy I have passion for. I also consider the organization culture because I want to work in an environment that would not only develop me professionally but would offer a holistic growth.

My ideal job is something that would provide me income and at the same time would allow me to be in touch with humanity. The financial aspect is just a bonus but not the motivation. As much as possible, I want to keep away from selfish materialistic goals and lean toward serving the underprivileged and addressing societal dilemmas.

But I do understand where my sister is coming from. She insists that I can't be too choosy and idealistic because I might end up unemployed for a long time. With the limited choices of job vacancies I've encountered that match my standards, I'm also starting to be worried. I want to keep my ideals on finding the perfect job that suits me but the economic pressure is hard to disregard. Whenever I'm tempted to apply for a job that I have absolutely no passion for, I try to remind myself that it's not all about earnings, it's about my passion and the satisfaction I'll gain. But then again, something behind my head is telling me that personal satisfaction won't pay bills and buy groceries.

I'm torn between living two lives, as my friend described it. A life that suits my ideals against a life that conforms to norms and definitions of society. I'm not sure if it's possible to live these two lives at the same time. I guess, at one point sacrificing some aspects of your ideals is inevitable as you embrace the norms. That's what scares me, I don't want to lose my idealism the same way I saw some people lost theirs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...